Wednesday, September 13, 2006

New Moms

I have arrived safely from FL with Gwen, I wasn't sure I would be returning with Gwen, her FL 'Grandmas' wanted to keep her, including my Mom, but we have returned. Gwen was remarkably good on the flights, she pretty much slept, woke briefly when she was hungry, then went back to sleep. That is the beauty of mornings with Gwen, she is a good baby in the morning, daytime/evening is a different story.
Today was our 1st 'New Moms experience' last week's was canceled because our facilitator hurt her back. There were 5 other Moms with babies ranging from 7w-3m. 3 boys, 3 girls. One of the girls was in one of the classes we took previously. We did an icebreaker, had a guest speaker chatted and were given a homework assignment. It actually was pretty nice. Gwen was pretty good, all-in-all. The funny thing was that several of us have babies that refuse to nap during the day. The babies sleep well at night in cribs or basinettes, but they refuse to sleep during the day. One of the women that has a 3 month old has given us hope. Her son has started to sleep better during the last week or so. The last 2 days I have gotten Gwen to nap, for a little while. But, I am pretty much inactive while she sleeps because I have to be right there. Maybe soon I will get her to nap on her own. I am just happy she is sleeping! The 2 homework assignments are pretty minimal. We have to call another Mom and learn her birth story. We also have to carve out 15 minutes to ourselves. I am not sure if she meant everyday or just once in the next week. I feel I a pretty good about getting 15 minutes to myself...I usually take a shower and have been known to pop Gwen in the swing or bouncy seat just so I can eat or use the bathroom. I hope that counts, because that is as exciting as it gets around here.
We also had book club. I knew it was going to be a challenge, but I decided to go anyway. I felt like Gwen cried the whole time and I didn't get much of a chance to interact with anyone, but I guess that is what happens sometimes.

No comments: