Thursday, May 31, 2007

New plans

I have been sitting here feeling sorry for myself that I couldn't post because the darling husband is out of town and took the laptop...FYI, I told him he could take it. Then I realized I have a laptop right here that I haven't turned on in sometime, my work laptop! So, now I can tell you the excitement of our day! We arrived home from FL yesterday, speaking for us, we had a good time. The darling husband has been sent to Columbus, OH for basically the day. He will be back sometime tomorrow.
So, Gwen and I are home and she is asleep. We are starting a new plan with Gwen, ok, I decided I don't think I really asked the spouse, but he really won't be home for the next week anyway, so I started my new plan. I am done coddling Gwen, I want to be able to leave the house and get a babysitter and I want to her to learn how to sleep on her own. After talking to a friend about her child last week, I realized that I am ready to move Gwen on to the next step. (I also realize that people have worse situations than I do, but I need to move on, so I don't maintain a bad situation). I have been nursing Gwen to sleep and then moving her to the crib after she falls asleep. I know that I probably shouldn't have gotten into that habit, but you do what you have to, when you have to to get through the day. I have also realized that Gwen possibly needs 2 naps and could probably stay up later. This brings mixed feelings for me, I really enjoy putting Gwen to sleep at 6 and having time with Eric, but I think that Gwen needs a second nap, which is why she acts crazy (like she did today in the grocery store). So, I put it her down for a second nap and she took a 1.5hr nap. She was a happy baby after that and I think that would make my evening easier, but will make afternoons more difficult; I won't have a whole lot of time to run errands. I don't know if she will always take an 1.5hr nap, but yesterday she had a tough day without many, if any naps. But anyway, back to my point, I am going to try and get Gwen to sleep on her own without nursing her to sleep, so if you talk to me in the next week and I am slightly frazzled, it is probably a combination of the new bedtime routine/later sleep time/lack of husband. I realize that it has probably taken me a lot longer to get to this point than it should have, but as with everything I do with Gwen I need time to mental prepare, sometimes it takes me a long time to do that, I have ALWAYS been a procrastinator. Should be fun!
Hopefully this weekend I will have some time to post pictures and videos. Gwen is getting more confident in taking steps. I don't know how long it will take her to take her steps, but I thought it would be today...we were outside walking using her walker/scooter toy and she was having a great time when our neighbor came outside with her dog, Gwen let go of the walker and I mean to tell you she tried to run over to that dog. Fortunately, trying isn't actually succeeding in her case, so she ended up walking several steps (rather quickly) and then trying to crawl. I don't know what that girl's fascination is with crawling on the asphalt, but she would if I would let her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We went through a similar thing with Drew and sleep. We'd let him fall asleep with us downstairs. Once he was older, he needed us to be there to go to sleep. Not a great plan on our part... With Jack, we made sure to put him down awake and he's a sleeping champ. And if it helps, mine both needed two naps for a while... They usually didn't sleep for hours on end each time, but their moods were much improved. You are doing a great job!!! Check out the blog sometime (you've inspired me to try and keep it going)...