Saturday, December 25, 2010

Figgy pudding

I asked Gwen what she wanted for Christmas dinner and she wanted figgy pudding, she was adamant that we have figgy pudding. So, I made figgy pudding. Who am I to challenge her? Several people have said to me that I am a good Mother for doing this, and I don't think of it that way. I have been thinking of this concept, what makes a person a good Mother? I know several people who I feel like go above and beyond the call of duty. People who we don't know how they do it and wish we could too. But we all have areas that we excel in, and areas that make us so nervous and relieved we don't have to worry about as parents, if push came to shove we would step up for our kids, or I am sure I wouldn't be friends with you. ;) And in the general scheme of things I am not sure making figgy pudding is all the great, but I did it and Gwen tried it and we all had a Merry Christmas, in our PJS.



So, what was the verdict? Figgy pudding, not really that hard to make. Easy, really, the hard part is the steaming of the pudding, my recipe called for a bundt pan covered in foil and then secured with a rubber band, then putting it in a 12x17 pan carefully pouring in boiling water covering the whole thing with foil and steaming it. And that wasn't the tricky part, the tricky part was making sure it was done, we couldn't find a rubber band to put around it, so we fashioned a piece of copper wire...it was kind of a pain, but it worked out for us. So, how did it taste? It tasted liked fig newtons with out what I am assuming is the newton part of the fig newtons. It was too seedy for Gwen and I, but the hard sauce made it yummy! I won't be making it again for a while, and if I do, let's just say I will try to de-seed some of the figs!

1 comment:

Mommy Daisy said...

You ARE an awesome mom! Yay for trying fun new things for the kids. I could see myself trying to make this if requested. ;) Merry Christmas!