Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Water babies

Today was our half hour "swim" lesson. You know how when you go somewhere like a group function, there is always the kid in the class who is doing everything you want and more, doesn't even look back at Mom, just runs off, and then there is the kid clinging to their Mom's leg and won't let go. Which do you think Gwen was? Yes, she was the clingy child curled up in my arm and wouldn't look up unless she saw Sophia, who was the other kid in the class who would do anything in the pool and cried when we left! (BTW-her grandparents who live within walking distance have a pool) Sophia is her friend from exercise group. I was excited because by the end of class I did get her to reach out for the purple ball the kids were given to throw and practice reaching out for it. Hopefully she will warm up to the idea of being in the pool. Hopefully soon enough, she will realize Mommy is not going to drop her or leave her or anything else terrible. Hopefully soon enough she will become comfortable in her surroundings and participate in the class. My poor girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there
I have some comforting info with regards to the pool. Nick was terrified of the water when he was little. I mean even in the bath if water got on his face he would flip out!! But it did not take long before he was a little fish with the other kids. So there is hope that Gwen will soon love the water :)

Melanie said...

Thanks Jen! I don't think she actually fears the water, she is just so shy, I am hoping that the new people she met and the new pool she hasn't been to is more of the problem than a water fear. I wasn't really surprised she acted as she did, I am just happy she didn't scream the whole time! Here's hoping she comes out of her shell before the end of the 6 weeks!