Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A profile

A topic of conversation lately has been how big could I really be with baby #2. I am sure people think I am exaggerating when I say that I am pretty large. It is a struggle for me not to waddle, which you may remember from the last pregnancy I made sure I did not waddle. But, by the end of the day I give up and waddle. Today at exercise group, the newest member of the group was kind enough to infer I was the size of a mack truck. She compared me to one of the other members who is due 6 weeks ahead of me that I am larger than. Now you must remember when looking at this picture I am 7 mons pregnant...I have a LONG way to go...I have just started the 3rd trimester! After the new girl left, the girl that I was compared to told me how rude the new girl was and how uncomfortable she felt when the new girl mentioned my largeness. I told her I was going to go home and eat because I was so depressed! I really don't care though, I mean it was rude and shouldn't be said to most people, but you can't compare me to the other girls in the class, before I was preggers I was 4 sizes bigger than them, so it is not like I would the same size/smaller than them. I have had several months to adjust to the fact that I am going to be larger than them, and I had a Dad who helped me to learn that people don't always say nice things, but you shouldn't let it bring you down. Seriously though, as rude things go, why do people think that when a woman is pregnant they should say things to you that they would normally not say, I mean thank you I don't need to hear your birth story or how I should cherish this time or whatever "advise" you feel to compelled to tell me. If I want to hear any of the information I will ask you...I have plenty of friends in my life who can tell me what's up, I don't need you complete stranger to give me random unasked for info. I don't know if the new girl (who had a baby 4 mon ago, so she should no better) just has a rude problem, but I might not talk to her as much as I was before, because she seems to not have much tact, and I don't need that kind of mumbo-jumbo in my life.
So about this pregnancy I feel like I am carrying really high. You can see that that shirt has a little ruching that won't fit between my chest and my belly. I am apparently trying to compete with my Aunt how told me by the time she delivered her son she could only wear my Uncle's bathrobe. I don't have any of the pictures of me in profile with Gwen on this computer to compare, but rest assured I am bigger than before.
No word back on the glucose test yet, I am hoping that means I passed, my next Dr's appt is next week...AHH! I am down to 2 week appts. Guess we should consider getting the crib together and ordering the mattress. I mean seriously, now that Eric has passed his test (YEA Eric!) we will have plenty of time to do those fun house things we have been meaning to do...nothing like being preggers and wanting to have a completed todo list.

16 comments:

Lesley said...

I think you look great!

And ignore stupid people - when I was leaving the hospital after delivering Laura, a lady complimented my cute little newborn and then turned to me and innocently said "Oh, and you're pregnant again?" !!!!!!! Honestly, some people should just engage their brains before speaking :-)

Maddie makes 4 said...

I agree with Lesley! Sometimes people can be so ignorant! I think you are quite a ways away from a mack truck! You look great!!!

Maddie makes 4 said...

I agree with Lesley! Sometimes people can be so ignorant! I think you are quite a ways away from a mack truck! You look great!!!

Beth said...

Oh pooey on her!!!! She's probably a size 0 too, isn't she!?!?

You look great! I was big with both of mine - I just get big when I'm pregnant. And I'm glad to see some pregnant pictures!! You are carrying high - that's the first thing I thought when I saw the picture - of course, after thinking - she's not that big!

Lesley - I didn't know that happened to you - that is terrible - some people must check their brains at the door!

Hang in there!! Not too much longer and we all get to "meet" the new little one!

Congrats to Eric on passing his test!

Beth

Melanie said...

Lesley, I can't believe that someone said that to you...and BTW that was totally my point about the whole post, people feeling the need to say dumb stuff to pregnant/new Moms. Don't they know about surging hormones and stuff!
I feel like I am all baby, esp when I see my bare belly in the mirror. I wish I could remember exactly how she worded her rudeness...it was something like "She is due before you, you are so much bigger than her!!!" (exclamations not exaggerated)
Beth-she is not a size 0, I think that is why she made the comment, she is not a size 22, but probably a 12-14.

Pocklock said...

People seriously suck. I hate the comments about size. Can you just stick to, Do you know what you're having?, and When are you due?

Why is that rule of, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"? Does it just go out the window when addressing pregnant woman?

Grr. Sorry. Tirade.

Aardvark said...

You are such a nicer person than I am....I am so over people saying crappy things to pregnant women. I just say something awful back. Something really awful!

Aardvark said...

oh...and you look fabulous!

Liesa said...

Melanie -
You look great. Trust me. I've been down the pregnant road three times and I found I showed more with each one quicker. Anyway - look at the end result - a sweet baby. What's better than that? And you do look pretty high!! I'm thinking Gwen jr. is on the way... Although my intuition is still saying boy. Were you high with Gwen? Mine were so low. I thought Bo would fall out :)

Melanie said...

If I was offended I probably would have had a smart comment to say. Consensus is I should work some rude comment into the conversation to get back it her, when she comes back to class.
I was high with Gwen also, not like drugged, but I carried high. I am pretty sure Gwen didn't drop until I went into labor.

Maddie makes 4 said...

You should have asked her how far along she was! :)

Maddie makes 4 said...

ps When I was pregnant with Nick, a certain rude person thought it was funny to refer to me the Good Year Blimp!

Melanie said...

Ha! ha! The good year blimp!
when I was pregnant with Gwen, I thought it was funny to compare my belly with my Dad's he didn't think it was funny though! (BTW I think we were the same size when I compared!)

Dawn Nolan said...

Well, I thought I was not too large this time around, but I've suddenly exploded and I think I'm a good bit bigger than you! You look great. Last time around, a Publix cashier asked me my due date and was shocked it was so far away. So, she asked if I was having twins. I said no, I'm surely not and she insisted my due date must be wrong. Yep, the cashier at Publix seemed to know more than my doctors! Honestly, I didn't mind. I thought it was a bit ridiculous, but I agree...who are these people to say anything like that?

And last time, my father commented to me that he didn't understand how I could keep getting bigger...I thought I was doing ok this time, but he recently told me how big I'm getting!

And like I said, I think I've been considerably smaller this time, but my mother in law ask me last week if I'm bigger this time than I was with Eddie.

I know I'm considerably bigger than you to begin with, but I've only gained 12 pounds and still the comments!

Just some ramblings to share that it happens to all of us!

Swistle said...

Oh, I know, people say such crazy things! Lesley is exactly right: Engage brain, THEN speak.

When I was 5 months pregnant with my first, I went to a dentist appointment and the receptionist must have said a DOZEN times variations on her theme of "You're so HUGE! OMG, isn't she HUGE?"

amyfruity said...

Mel...I think you look great! I was HUGE with Brian....You are tiny compared to what I looked like at that time! Some people literally just need to be hit upside the head! I try to keep those "charming" people out of my life as well....I can't wait to see Baby #2....Ok...I can't wait to see Gwen as well....I promise it will be soon.
Now go eat some chocolate for me! :o)