Thursday, June 12, 2008

I have arrived!

So, I thought you would like an update of the fun and exciting things going on around here. As you may or may not have guessed, I had a baby yesterday, a happy, healthy, sleepy baby, who I have to wake up to feed every 4 hours. Gosh do I feel lucky. I know it won't last, so I am doing my best to indulge as best I can, which included my free hospital neck message this morning. I do not think it is possible to sleep very late in the hospital in the mornings, boy it is one person after the other around here. But, I guess you probably don't care about that you want to know more about this:

Yesterday as I mentioned in the blog, I was induced by the Dr breaking my water. Unfortunately, I arrived at the hospital at 7:45 and didn't actually get my water broken until 11:00am, the fluid was clear thank goodness and apparently I had been having contractions, but couldn't feel them, I was at 4cm when they broke my water. Do you know that it took an hour to get the antibiotic that was necessary to get 2 doses in before they could break my water. I should have known then that anytime our nurse said 15 minutes she meant a lot longer. Apparently they got very busy shortly after we arrived. When the Dr B broke my water that is the only time we saw him. We finally were able to get up and walk around. I received my next antibiotic dose and finally at 3:30 I was checked again, 4.5cm and we were allowed to walk again. Alleluia. By this point, I was done with this pregnancy and started doing anything the doula would suggest to get the baby down and out. Different swaying techniques and what-not. At about 5 we went back to the room so I could rest, we weren't really timing contractions, they seemed to still be about 5 min or so apart. I got into the shower and I felt like the contractions were coming closer together and I was getting the urge to bear down, the doula said since I was 5cm and we knew Gwen was stuck there for a long time I could bear down a little (I took that to mean, just bear down as much as I wanted). The nurse came back in she said my next dose of antibiotics had arrived, they wanted to monitor the baby for a little bit and so we got out of the shower and into the bed. She just finished hooking me up to the monitors and I said, I feel burning. The nurse said let me check you and the head was crowning. Now, if you want to see a flurry of activity you should probably wait until about 6 to have a baby (the nurses change out at 7, my favorite Dr rotated in at 5:30!) and already be crowning. I was told not to push and a flurry of activity ensued. I think I now know what it feels like to be a car/driver at the Indy 500. Eric says there was no one in our room and about 5 sce later there was about 5 nurses and our Dr ran in, she hadn't even put on scrubs yet for her shift. Two pushes later we were staring at this handsome little guy:
That's right, we had a boy! Nathan Quinn, 8lb 10oz 22.25in. at 6:12pm. It is amazing how 1.25in and 5.5 oz can make in appearance. Nathan seems so long and lean compared to Gwen. One day I might show comparison pictures. (Please ignore the double chin in this picture it is the only one I have of the 3 of us)
Here are some more pictures, mostly of Gwen and Nathan, here she is with her first look!
She leaned in to look at him so I asked her if she wanted to kiss him, and you see she did! Mom and Gwen were able to make it to visit after he was born, even though it was past her bedtime. But, Grandma was watching her, so I am sure she is having a super fun time and they are breaking all our "rules".


Here is the proud Papa again. Eric stayed the night, but he had an appt this morning and he stopped by the house and then he came back here and wouldn't stop holding Nathan, I would complain, but Gwen will be here this afternoon and I know she is going to have to be in Eric's lap the whole time she is here, so I can't blame him.
I might be able to get out of here tomorrow mid-day, it apparently depends on the pediatrician and how much of a stickler they are about the Strep B and monitoring. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers, they are much appreciated and I know that is why everything worked out so well.
Well, it seems my little man is starting to fuss, so it is my turn to hold the baby. Did anyone get all the predictions true from the poll?
Oh and just in case you are wondering the significance of the name, Nathan has no significance, something we could agree on, but Quinn is Eric's father's name.

9 comments:

Liesa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! A BOY! We are so happy for you, Eric and Gwen!

I don't know what else to say, I am so happy for you!!

Lesley said...

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU! That is wonderful news. What a handsome little boy!!
I'm sure Gwen will be a wonderful big sister.
ps. Love the name!

Unknown said...

What a handsome little guy! Congratulations to the 4 of you!!! Nathan arrived into a wonderful family! (And now I have 2 relatives in Maryland named Nathan!) I have a cousin Nathan as well....it's a great name!
love
Aunt Paula (and Uncle Ron)

Dawn Nolan said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear everything went so well and you pretty much went naturally! Nathan is gorgeous--what great color he had at birth! Enjoy your little man!

Beth said...

Congratulations!!!! So glad things went well for you!!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!!! We are so very happy for you all!

Nathan Quinn - what a fine name!

Enjoy all these awesome moments!

Love to all.

amyfruity said...

Congratulations to all of you! Nathan is beautiful and I absolutely love the name! Looking at all the pictures made me cry (from happiness of course)...Not sure why I'm extra emotional today.....I wish I was there to give you a big hug! Gwen is such a cutie and the picture of her looking inside the nursery is a great one. She's going to make a great big sister! A girl and a boy.....How perfect! Congratulations again Mel! Great job!
Love,
Amy :o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting pictures up so quickly!

Isabelle loved the picture of Gwen kissing her new baby brother.

Nathan is so cute, can't wait to see more updates. Your kids are so adorable. You can tell we're all related because we have the cutest kids in the world.

Congratulations, great to see such happy faces.

Love,
Your cousin Julie & Roy & Isabelle too!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! (Sorry so late!)

What a cutie and I LOVE the name!