Friday, June 06, 2008

Thoughts

Last night Eric and I finally hashed out/decided on the middle name if we are having a girl. It has come to my attention lately that people think Eric and I already found out the sex of the baby and haven't told anyone. I guess because we are such good secret keepers you could believe that, but honestly we have no idea. We will be just as surprised as the rest of you.
I am also beginning to wonder about people that want me to call them when I go into labor, do people actually call people when they are in labor? Seriously, although I love most of them dearly, as I remember from last time, the last thing on my mind when I am in labor is to start making the phone calls and being like, "hey, I am in labor". I am mostly thinking about contractions. Not especially want to be on the phone, but that is just me. Maybe I would send out an email, cause then I wouldn't have to talk to people, but I can't guarantee a phone call.
The rest of this post, I am not sure men/older readers will want to read...might be too much information, if you are the sensitive sort, don't read the next paragraph!
As I ponder the things the Dr and the doula said to me yesterday about what can get labor started, I am really beginning to wonder if the main thing they suggest, (which BTW is really funny to listen to your Dr try to suggest what we should do, but not wanting to come out and say it, because my Mom is in the room!) is not something that actually helps labor, but is something the men Dr's cooked up because they feel bad that it will be a while before relations will likely happen again, with the newborn and lack of sleep. Scientifically, of course, I do understand that the stuff that softens the cervix is also present in the juice, but in minuscule amounts, so really what does that mean for the amount of relations! Just a thought!
Walking, now that is something that I would like to get on board with, but as much as I already walk I am just having a problem walking with this baby. Eric and I went to the local mall and walked around last night, I made it maybe an hour, we only made one pass (if you saw a crappy mall you know that isn't very much) and I was getting back pain and leg pain, so we sat down for a while, no real contractions. I am still convinced this is a when baby is ready baby will come, and that the rest of it is hokey, but that could also be why baby is not coming, I am so not convinced that any of the "methods" work, and if I had a little faith in the "methods" of ejecting baby from the womb, then baby would come out. Maybe if I really believed that spicy foods, lobster, or fish sandwiches really had an effect on labor, I would have the baby. So I have decided to take it one step further and have been saying a lot of Hail Mary's I figure if anyone can help us get the baby out it would be Mary! We will see how that works out. I think this all boils down to me, which I think is why the praying will work the best, it is me that needs to relax, once I do that the baby will come and that is why I think that the rosary is the best way to go, if I can get myself to a zen like state of peace then hopefully I can go into labor. I know that when Gwen was ready to come it was me that caused my labor to extend. I wasn't ready and until that was brought to my attention, I wasn't able to have Gwen. Seriously, after I was told by my doula that I needed to figure out what was mentally causing me to block the birth, I got serious and dilated the rest of the way and had Gwen in 2 hrs. And, none of this would matter if my Mom wasn't here to help, we are running out of Grandma help time, so we need to kick it into high gear! Have a Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Oh what I have to look forward to (again) in December! My babies have always been very cooperative with my deadlines - for instance I was in the middle of a Q-review while approaching Bella's due date and she waited until I was pretty much done with it before arriving. With Brooklyn - my due date was right after quarter end and that was my busiest time at that job - she gave me enough time to get through quarter end and prepare all my monthly reports and such that needed to be done!!

I am thinking about you and hoping all goes well when baby (and mom) is ready!!!!