Thursday, April 10, 2008

21 months

Today I am feeling much better! Apparently just having the will power to feel better is enough to make yourself feel better. Just like my Dad said, it never worked when I single but now I have Gwen & ? to take care of so I can't afford 2 sick days! (Eric is apparently not 100% yet)
The last month has brought many changes in our lives with Gwen. She is chatty and funny and the most exciting thing is her attention span is extending! She will now spend longer than a couple minutes playing with a toy and sometimes that translates to reading more words on a page in her books. A very exciting time for us! She is also able to spend time entertaining herself without much interaction. This is especially helpful when I am trying to make dinner or I have to take a potty break. Gwen is also starting to recognize my belly. I am still not sure she understands what will be happening in a couple months. (I think I finally got Daddy on board to get the crib up!) Gwen used to pull my shirt down if I lifted it to show her the baby in my belly, but now she has actually kissed and hugged it. Hopefully that is a good sign for our future, but I can't say that it is.

Gwen's language has improved also, she has her little phrases, and when I teach her a new sign, she gets it immediately. You know you spend your whole day talking to a child with not a huge amount of "appropriate" vocabulary, but then you are talking to her and all of a sudden she responds in the totally correct manner and intonation and you just have to laugh, because it is completely unexpected and because when it happens to Eric it freaks him out and he says "what did you say kid?" and then asks me if I heard it and then laughs.
Gwen's latest obsessions are bus and toes. When we are in the house she is constantly talking about her toes. If she hears a loud noise outside she calls it a bus, which is why I told her the sign for motorcycle! She still calls trucks buses, even though she used to call trucks trucks. It can be very frustrating, and why I told my Mom she will definitely not be home schooled!

1 comment:

Maddie makes 4 said...

Melanie that baby has your eyes!!! I can not believe how much she looks like you!!