Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Clarification

So, my day wasn't all that stressful or upsetting, nor was I in a bad mood. I just had some grievances to bare so, you know I just compiled them into one post/list. Seemed like a good idea at the time! Anyhoo, had the Dr's appt today, I had been looking forward to this one, it was with the Dr that delivered Gwen and I know she would give me the whole scoop and take time to explain anything...it was helpful that I was one of the last appts of the day. When I asked her about the induction last week Dr recommended she seemed shocked. Apparently he had just given her a hard time for scheduling an induction on someone who was 40 weeks 5 day, but the difference is that person wanted to be induced, I am crazy enough to not want one, since baby appears to be fine! My Dr seems to think he recommended induction because of my size, well not my size, but the size of the baby. She just thinks I have large babies. Today she told us 9lb, 2oz. So if she is anywhere near correct, many of your guess are off! I would like to keep the baby under 9lb, because I think over 9lb is when they check blood sugar levels every 4 hrs. She doesn't think I will have any problems with the large baby, because of Gwen's size and this being my second and all. We are all also hopeful that this birth is way faster, she thinks it could be. I also found out more information about the Strep B. I was undecided on whether I wanted to get to the hossy immediately, but when she mentioned that if I did pass the Strep B to the baby might have to stay in the hossy up to a week. No thank you! I will be seeing the same Dr next week, she told me to go ahead and tell the scheduler to squeeze me into her schedule for the next 2 weeks. I am hoping to not go that long, but it is not really up to me, is it.
Oh, I forgot one on my list...please don't tell me what what the heck you did in order to start labor. I will not be eating a McDonald's fish sandwich, (we heard the crazy rumors last time, tried some, Gwen came when she was ready). When someone kept repeating the fish sandwich story to me today, someone else said you know what caused me to go into labor, my baby did when she was ready. Awesome!

5 comments:

Lesley said...

Hang in there!! The last few days are always a bit stressful. The Dr's talked to me about inducing Patrick because he was measuring big - he came one day after his due date and was only 7lbs 11oz; the ultrasounds were off by over a pound due to how he was lying.
Good luck with everything!!!

Beth said...

LOVE the last comment about what caused her to go into labor - will definitely use that one!!!!!

You will do great - big baby or not!!!! Your views on labor/delivery and induction are so in line with ours - which is why we are driving 66 miles to an OB/GYN and hospital!!!

GOod luck!

Melanie said...

Lesley-The sizing wasn't from an ultrasound, my Dr is just guestimating based on experience and knowing me. She wasn't far off with Gwen, less than 0.5lb off. I have heard they think they are getting more accurate with the u/s sizing, but seriously, how could they know?
Beth-I can't believe after having a baby at home you are driving that far away!

Liesa said...

I hated people's advice on how to start labor. I am the rare case with Drew that we tried EVERY thing including: spicy food, walking, raspberry tea, cleaning floor on hands and knees, etc... I totally agree the baby comes when ready (or if you get to 42 weeks like we did with him, when the doctor is ready).

We are praying for you all and thinking of you. Is there anything a friend in Alabama can do for your family??

Beth said...

I wouldn't mind a homebirth this time but I would rather have someone there such as a midwife. However, in Alabama - homebirths and midwifery are ILLEGAL!!! Can you believe that. And if we have a "planned" homebirth - Brannon's license is at stake! So...we will be driving (or at least attempting) the 66 miles!!!