Monday, November 13, 2006

Happy Birthday and other things!

Thanks everyone who has estimated weights and heights so far! There is still time to estimate. Friday turned out to be a gorgeous day. In the 70s, so Eric decided he wanted to go hit some golf balls at the driving range. Gwen and I went with him, because it was so nice outside.

Saturday Eric had to do take pictures for his marketing class project. For some reason Gwen thought she would like to be involved. She thought the pictures would be better if she held her lottery ticket at the same time.
She was pretty tired after all that work.
(no babies were hurt or drunk during the making of these pictures!)

Eric turned 30 on Sunday. As I have mentioned before, I think these birthdays that end in 0s are really all the milestones we have left in life, so I baked him a cake, a real cake not one of those Betty Crocker ones, (side note, that is the kind of cake Eric wants, I prefer to make them, I think they taste better, but, he got his cake and ate it to, today at work they brought in a 'homemade' Betty Crocker cake).


Eric asked since he is so busy with work and school we defer his 30th birthday celebration until next year. I couldn't resist though, I asked our friends Brian & Reyna to watch Gwen (sorry she was sleeping, well almost, she was crying when we left, but she did eventually go to sleep). As you can see I had fun making the cake! I told Eric on the way to dinner that we weren't allowed to talk about Gwen, school, or work during dinner, and we actually succeeded and had a very nice dinner at Mealey's a very nice restaurant, the next town over. I was worried in the beginning it wasn't going to go well, because our waiter made the conversation awkward in the beginning, but it did go well, we ate to much and had a great time.
So, you are probably anxiously awaiting the sleep report! Gwen took 2 naps today in her crib. I decided that I was tired of the laying down thing with her, she just doesn't sleep well next to me anyway. She cried both times, but slept for 45 minutes. Tonight she went down without any fuss. I don't know if this is the start of a trend with her, but I hope so. Tonight I really took my time with the quieting down with her. I even spent a little extra time nursing her and I didn't actually put her in the bed until 6:15, the last couple nights were closer to 5:30 and she just cried a lot. I think 6p might be her actual bed time, so I am going to do my best and keep that fairly constant. I just hope she will eventually start sleeping more than 45 minutes during the day at a time. I know that will happen eventually, but I am the impatient sort!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel,
My aunt watched Oprah today and saw this baby behaviorist, Priscilla Dunstan, and thought that I would be interested. As I started reading I thought I would share it with you.
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200611/20061113/slide_20061113_350_101.jhtml

The sounds before they start crying:
Neh="I'm hungry"
Owh="I'm sleepy"
Heh="I'm experiencing discomfort"
Eair="I have lower gas"
Eh="I need to burp"

The idea is that many babies use the same 5 reflex sounds to express simular desires around the world. My aunt remembered being confused by her babies cried and thought that this lady was right on. She wished she would have known this years ago.

Let me know what you think.

Reyna

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Belated HB to Eric!

Gwen is such a cutie - she seems to be a ham as well with the camera.

I would guess that she will be 14lbs.4oz. and 25inches when you go to the doctor. You know how we love betting pools!

All our love!

PS the AhMa is what Emma calls me.