Friday, August 10, 2007

13 months

Miss Gwen is 13 months! Hard to believe life was like this and this and more importantly that Gwen looked like this! So what is life like with a 13 month-old like Gwen. I realize that she is crazy, like most other babies, but she has some things that make her a challenge for me. I think the 2 most challenging things for me are sleep and food and while I know that everyone has these problems with their children, I don't know how many people have these problems simultaneously or to the extent that we do. Gwen I think at this point, like most other babies is all about control. In the last several days we have gotten her to eat more foods, but only on her terms, she points at our foods and then she tries it, like I said on her terms. Which makes me think the terrible 2s are going to be a LOT of fun around here. I think I am going to start preparing now, she already has 'tantrums' if you don't pick her up if she puts her little arms in the air. I am waiting for her to start stomping her foot and be like, MOM! For now, she just goes to Eric cause she knows Daddy is a sucker! I mean totally wrapped around her finger and I am chopped liver. I knew this day would come, so I have been preparing.
Her latest thing as I have mentioned is pointing. She does it constantly and sometimes with added sound effects, like don't you see what I am pointing too! That is how she ended up with a whole nectarine. The cutest thing though is when she dances. Gwen and I went to visit Erin and her new baby sister, Katie. Jaime and Tim thought Gwen was hilarious, with her squealing and dancing while pointing-moving in such a way that makes her look like a rapper. I have tried to get a video, but she just clams up. Hopefully soon I will get a video...I don't know if it will rival sweeping or emptying the laundry in the cuteness department, but I will have to let you judge for yourself.
Gwen still gets into everything. I no longer can use the facilities by myself, she is ALWAYS with me when I am home alone with her and she is awake. This is a challenge because we haven't put the baby locks up on the cabinets in the bathrooms.
Maybe not the most flattering shot, but what can I do, she is into everything! She still is not into putting anything back, Eric often asks if a bomb went off when he comes home because you can often see a perfect circle where she was sitting while she pulled everything out of her shopping basket (thanks KIKI!) or whatever she decided to empty. I am hoping to one day get her to put stuff back, but I think my Mom tried to do that with me for 17 yrs and I never did, so why would I suspect that Gwen was any different!

I think in general Gwen and I are getting along pretty well, she seems to not be suffering too much in my care, well at least she is not complaining. I know I will look back at this time and think, how peaceful she never talked back! I think most weeks can be summed up by this statement that I stole from a website I read daily.
"You think you’re going to be prepared for the sheer incredibleness of such a moment, but it’s like, someone keeps setting off pipe bombs on your front porch and throwing rocks through your windows, and then one day out of nowhere they show up and mow your lawn. And you’re suddenly glad you didn’t shoot them last week."

Gwen is learning how to hug, she has been doling out hugs to Eric and I pretty regularly and cuddles up to us. The godfather reports while he was playing with her today he got a hug also...YEA Gwen. If she was awake right now and I said that she would clap for herself. It is hard to believe how much she has learned in the last year and how much she will continue to learn.
For now let me post this video of her and Eric, hopefully we will have some great pictures of our first relaxing no pressure/no homework on the horizon family weekend! Are you as excited as I am?

No comments: