Sunday, November 08, 2009

Yesterday, Saturday!

We have these 2 huge trees in our front yard. This makes for a new fun time for us outside. For a while these leaves have been piling up in our front yard (ok, I have been raking them into a pile in the front yard!) The kids, Eric and I have been playing in this pile...
Raking it, laying in it. The kids don't really get the idea of jumping into the pile this year, they like to walk through it.
Yesterday, Eric, Gwen, and I decided to finally get rid of the pile. The neighbors down the street are trying to sell their house and I feel like a big pile of leaves in our front yard looks trashy.
After Eric had been working for a while, Gwen decided to pull out her wheel barrow and help...
Of course, she doesn't really have the technique down, but she's trying.
(I'm thinking the leaves are probably more tolerable than our molded pumpkin, but I am afraid to touch it now!) Gwen's wheelbarrow pile, not much, but that is all she could tolerate, have I mentioned this girl needs a nap!
Off she goes...
Daddy found a stowaway...
and the rake...
The next batches of leaves Eric did, he had to do with Gwen in the wheelbarrow...
She didn't seem to mind


What did we do with all these leaves, you might ask? I read in one of my magazines that leaves are good for mulch, especially in places you are going to garden, as long as you cut them up first. The article suggested piling leaves up in rows, mowing over them and then using them as mulch. That is why Eric moved about half of them to the back yard, where my garden is going to be next year. We (and by we I mean he) mowed the leaves and I raked them up and used them as mulch in the front, in the back we piled some of them up, the rest we just left to decompose in with the grass. We still have more leaves to drop, but it is nice to get rid of the pile for a little while, the grass underneath was none to happy about that! I am thinking next time we try this project we should have both kids napping, not just the one!

No comments: